Rug first aid
The longer the soiling stays untreated the more difficult it will be to treat.
Identify the direction of the nap(pile direction).
Run your hand over the rug surface towards one end of the rug and then in the opposite direction. Like stroking a cat, your hand will run smoother with the nap than against it. All wiping and scraping should be done in the direction of the pile to prevent forcing spills deeper into the pile and pile distortion.
Remove any solids
Use a spatula or a dust pan to scrape up solids in the direction of the nap onto kitchen paper
Use kitchen paper or old towels to soak up liquid. apply downward pressure by leaning or standing on the towels to aid absorption.
The next step depends on your rugs qualities and the substance spilled.
If you are not confident that your rugs dyes are fast, stop here and call us for further advice.
If you know the dyes are fast and want to treat the spill yourself, please follow the appropriate procedures below remembering that it is better to leave a slight stain than it is to bleach or bleed the rugs colour or damage the fibre. Most food dye based stains like wine, soft drink, tomato sauce etc will fade naturally over time as the dyes are not UV stable.
Ink, wax, paint, polish and oily spills
Removal of these substances requires the use of various commercial solvents and advanced techniques and should be left to professionally trained technicians.
Wine, soft drink, sauces, urine, vomit, faeces and other water based spills.
These can be minimized by flushing and rinsing out. The technique for this is:
- Fill a bucket with room temperature tap water.
- Get a good supply of clean old towels and a sponge.
- Sponge a liberal amount of water onto the affected area saturating it.
- Massage the area without rubbing in the direction of the pile.
- Place a dry towel over the area and absorb the water using pressure.
- Repeat steps 3 - 5 many times using dry towels each time until no further improvement is gained.
- Use a very small amount of mild wool safe detergent like wool mix or hair shampoo and massage into affected area. Let dwell for 5 minutes, massage again.
- Rinse out all traces of shampoo by repeating steps 3 to 5 many times. A couple of tea spoons of white vinegar can the added to the final rinse water to neutralize the fibre.
- Groom the pile in the direction of the nap and use a fan or blower on cool setting to speed up drying.
- When dry, fluff the pile up by hand or with vacuuming.
- If the stain or odor persists then professional treatments may be required.
Urine, faeces and vomit
Whether of human or animal origin, these can be very damaging because of their pH. It is also impossible to completely remove the residual odor causing contaminants in the home situation. Complete sanitization, decontamination and odor removal can only be achieved safely and effectively using specialist techniques in the controlled environment of our facility. Call us as soon as possible after the accident as urine starts to destabilize dyes within 24 hours.
|Call us to book a pick-up.
We'll even shift your furniture!
Accidents like this are unavoidable.
Being prepared and knowing what to do next can make a big difference to the outcome.
Save this page for future reference.
Click to bookmark now